Mission Picture top blog

Mission Picture top blog

Monday, July 13, 2015

The "Root" of all Good

Enjoying Niagara Falls today!
I am so grateful to be serving in Canada!  I had the opportunity to be able to see Niagara Falls today! It was absolutely incredible! You wouldn't believe how powerful and majestic the falls are.  As we were walking towards the falls, it was a light mist and the closer we got towards the water, it felt like we were getting rained on! It was so incredible!  Also as we were walking, Sister Coleman and I got stopped by three people who were from Utah! So that was fun! I am so grateful I had the feeling to give them some blank mormon.org cards to hand out while they were there that day J

I was so blessed to have the opportunity to do a $60 Challenge! As I prayed to know what to do, I felt like I should do something for Chrissy Pope!  I thought of how just a week or two ago, her apricot tree had broken from a storm and was gone.  I thought to myself, “Why not plant another tree for her, but a special one.”  Chrissy lost her mom about a month ago and has been going through a really rough time with life as well as some physical obstacles that were not known to me until after serving her. 

This is what we did!
Together with the Elders, we made a beautiful black round wooden plaque with her mother's name on it that said 'FAMILIES ARE FOREVER'.  My companion, Sister Coleman and I had the chance to be able to pick out a tree and we chose an Eastern Redbud tree (that blooms pink flowers in the springtime). We went over to plant it and she wasn't there! So we decided to make it a surprise J We went into her back yard and planted the tree in the ground and placed the plaque in front of it and left a note on the door for her to check the backyard for a 'surprise'.  It was such a fun and incredible service project!  But, best of all was the call that we received just hours later from Chrissy.

I picked up the phone and she said, "Thank you so much! I just came home from the hospital and found the note that you left me on my front door.  I went to the back yard and it's beautiful, so beautiful.  I love it so much and I knew I had to share it with my family!  So I took a picture and sent it to my sister in Newfoundland and to my other sister in Toronto and they love it as well. [pause] It is beautiful..." She began to tell us that she cried when she saw it and it just means the world to her that someone cared and told us thank you over and over again.  We are so excited to go over sometime this week to put the black 'memory' plaque in the ground (we weren't sure if she would want that done).  I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to be able to serve one of Heavenly Father's children in a very special way on my mission.  It's moments like this where you wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.  Everything on my mission means the world to me and anytime we have a chance to help another, it is a great experience!


I also got to go on exchanges again to Simcoe! It was incredible to see a sister that I have been with her entire mission (about 6 months).  I just feel so privileged to be able to see so many sisters grow in their testimony and faith in Jesus Christ. 

Those are just a couple of highlights of my week! I love praying for those here in Hamilton and to know how we can best serve people individually.  It gives me a small glimpses of what Heavenly Father feels for us. I know that service truly does bring us closer to Heavenly Father just as King Benjamin promised, "I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God." (Mosiah 2:17). There is always something we can do or someone we can serve J

I testify that this Gospel is true!  You asked what my favorite scripture study centered on, and it was something I was so grateful I was able to learn recently.  I had a realization that seemed so silly that I didn't understand it earlier; one of the reasons I personally needed to come on a mission was to understand how to keep my covenants.  I was reading in Helaman 3 and in the Book of Mormon manual talking about sanctifying our lives to our Fathers.  In the manual it says "Those who partake of the sacrament and temple ordinances with pure hearts and who faithfully keep their covenants have NO PROBLEM being modest, paying generous fast offerings and tithing, keeping the word of wisdom and Sabbath day holy, sharing the gospel daily, attend the temple frequently, conduct family history research, doing home or visiting teaching, visiting the sick or serving those in need....These are the faithful saints of the Most High who keep the sacred covenants they have made in the house of the Lord and who continue faithful, having a determination to serve him to the end, and truly manifest by their works that they have received of the Spirit of Christ unto the remission of their sins. (D&C 20:37) Covenant Keepers...live the law of consecration. Their time, talents, and financial resources all belong to the Lord." (Elder Spencer J. Condie of the 70)  I have always had a testimony of the truthfulness of this Gospel, I've always felt it, but I guess I didn't really understand what I knew to be true before I came out here, I just knew I knew it. But now I know and it's so simple, covenant keepers live the law of consecration.  Everything I am, every talent I have acquired and will acquire is meant for the building up of the Kingdom of God here upon on the Earth at this time, in this, His restored Church.  I am so grateful for this enlightenment from the Spirit and I am so grateful that I get to apply it each and every day! What a blessing it is and how great is our calling!

Until next time...

Sister Robb

No comments:

Post a Comment