Mission Picture top blog

Mission Picture top blog

Monday, December 15, 2014

Angels Among Us

So much has happened this week and I can’t believe that Christmas is coming soon!  I hope that everyone has been sharing He Is The Gift with people. If you haven't, I encourage all of you to do so! You will be so blessed J So discover, embrace, and share the gift with everyone!

After I read in Preach My Gospel chapter 9 about Finding People to Teach, I then prayed to Heavenly Father in helping us to find people to teach. I found my answer as I read in 1 Nephi 16 in my personal study. This is when Lehi receives the Liahona to guide their course through the wilderness and when Nephi breaks his steel bow.  I am sure we all know the story, after the bow breaks and Nephi's family begins to murmur exceedingly, what does Nephi do? "And it came to pass that I, Nephi, did make out of wood a bow..." [vs 23] Now what of the Liahona? The Liahona's pointers move according to faith and diligence!  How does this apply to me?  Well... I felt prompted to put my faith and diligence at work so the Lord can guide me to people we need to teach. I told Sister Poettcker that we needed to try all of the former investigators in our area.  She said she had faith in me, so we went to work and guess what, we have two new investigators because of it! Their names are Sonny and Howard.

Sonny is Vietnamese and has a wife Yen, and a 6 year old son named Marcus. It was a miracle that we were able to get into their home. Here is the story: Sister Poettcker said she has already tried this door a couple of times and no one seemed to want to answer the door, even when they are home. Why not one more time? So Sister Poettcker and I were knocking at their door and no one answered, so we turned around and there pulled in Yen (the wife) and invited us in. We talked to the three of them and taught them a simple lesson about prayer and about Heavenly Father.  We need to go super simple and slow with them. It was great!  We will be going back sometime this week. The only problem that we will have with them is finding a time that works! They own a nail salon and work every day, even every Sunday.  So, we will pray to know what we need to say or do for them J

Howard is a Jamaican man and was almost baptized a second time at another church but moved to Ajax and didn’t follow through.  He has been taught in the past and felt good while he read from the Book of Mormon. We will be teaching him more tonight and I hope and pray that he will follow through this time.  

I have learned that we need to constantly thank the Lord for what He has given us and that when our "main bows" break, we don't blame the Lord or others... but rather 'make' a "wooden bow"! Never give up!  Always work hard and lastly, be creative!

We went with the young women in the ward to the Ajax hospital and sang to patients in their rooms! It was fun and was great to do something with the ward and become more involved. I loved seeing the patients light up as Sister Poettcker and I gave the patients He Is The Gift pass along cards.  An elderly lady named Natallia (who was Italian) took my hand and said thank you for the picture and kissed the card.  It was such a tender experience. 
AJAX - known as the town by the lake


Our investigator named Ruby is doing well! We taught her the Plan of Salvation and had such a great experience from that. She loved the lesson and said she learned so much! When we got to the part where Christ's Atonement is central to the Plan of Happiness, she said, "Wow... I better change myself so I can live with God again!" Sister Poettcker and I just looked at each other and smiled.  I invited her to be baptized and she said yes! We set the date for January 18th and she said she will pray and think about it.  Hopefully when we see her this week and help her come to church each week she will become prepared for that date!

I had a special spiritual experience this week that I wanted to share where I had felt that my uncle Claye was right beside me.  It was a day that Sister Poettcker and I were coming home to make some lunch.  As we were driving down the street I saw a man that was standing in his empty garage with his hands in his pocket.  I had a strong prompting and pulled over off the side of the road.  Sister Poettcker asked what I was doing and I said, "I feel like we need to talk to that man."  We got out of the car and as I walked up to him, I could tell that he was upset and he began walking to go inside.  I asked him to wait and told him that I felt I needed to talk to him. We asked him how he was doing and if there is anything we can do for him.  He then said, "I lost my wife almost 2 weeks ago by an intoxicated driver as she was going for her daily walk in the morning and crossing the street. She was killed and there is nothing you or anyone can do for me.  Goodbye."  I then felt so strongly as if there was someone by my side, giving me comfort. I looked and no one was there.  I then felt something inside me saying tell him he'll be okay... she's with you. As I told him this, he was shocked and said, "You don't know what you are talking about. You don't know what I am going through, and how my life has changed." I then was prompted to tell him about my uncle Claye who was killed some years ago. I told him Claye’s story and what a remarkable good man he was and bore my testimony and said that I feel as if he is with me right now and our loved ones are close by.  I then said once again that I felt prompted to stop and talk to him and that I knew he needed someone to show that they cared. He settled down, opened his heart, and felt more at peace, and shared a few memories of his wife.  I don't remember what I said to be honest, I just remembering opening my mouth and telling him about Claye and showing him love and concern as I bore my testimony.  It was an amazing experience. I will never forget it.  I thank Heavenly Father for prompting me to talk to this man and was so blessed to feel my Uncle Claye standing right beside me. 

I do not doubt that Uncle Claye and Grandpa Colton are helping me out here in Canada!  I can’t really describe what has happened, but I know that they, along with other angels, through the guidance of God, are preparing the hearts of the people in Canada, America, and EVERYWHERE else in the world!  God knows what he is doing and I have no doubt He will lead me where He wants me to go, the way He wants to do so!  My faith is increasing each and every day and I am so thankful for My Heavenly Father’s Plan of Happiness and His Son, my Savior, Jesus Christ, who provided the way for us to partake of that plan!!  I am comforted that I can, indeed, see my Uncle and Grandpa again!  They are not gone, just passed beyond the veil and are continuing to do God’s work there, and helping ME as I act as an instrument in His work here!  How incredibly grateful I am for that beautiful, beautiful knowledge!!


I love being a missionary! It has been the greatest experience for me.  I hope you know that each of you can make a difference. You can mean the world to someone if you just trust the Lord and have the courage to talk to someone who may need you J You mean more to Heavenly Father than you could ever imagine. Share this knowledge and light with others! You can make the difference.  Love to all!

Until next time...

 Sister Robb

No comments:

Post a Comment