Mission Picture top blog

Mission Picture top blog

Monday, October 19, 2015

Last Transfer in Canada!

We got the call last night and, I AM TRANSFERING & TRAINING!!! J I AM SO EXCITED!! I will be 'whitewashing' into an area (where both companions are new) into Peterborough.  It's in the Oshawa Zone and I cannot wait!!  It will be the farthest north in my mission I will go.

Last week I went on two exchanges!
-Don Valley: Sister Westerlind--She is awesome! She came to Mississasauga with me and we were able to teach Brian and talk about temples and family history.  As we talked about the temple, he got really silent and just looked down.  I said, "Brian... You'll someday be able to do temple work for your mom. I know that you are feeling the spirit and that is because the temple is the most precious and sacred place on earth. I know she is so proud of you right now..." Brian looked up and said, "...How do you know that?" I said, "The spirit has touched my heart and told me to say that.  Don't be too hard on yourself Brian and never give up!" "...Hey...That's what my mom used to say to me." Sister Westerlind and I had an incredible lesson with Brian and he got himself signed up for family history and we were able to put in his parents and grandparents. He is doing great! Lastly, we followed up with Brian about something... This is how it went:
"Brian! We're so excited to hear about your experience in watching the October 2014 general conference CD's we gave you last time. What talks were you able to watch from it?"
"All of them."
"Wait... You watched all of one of the CD's we gave you?"
"Yes.... I watched all of the CD's you gave me. It was good."
"Brian... [holding up CD case], did you know you watched 11 hours?! In two days?!" 

"[Brians smiles]"
Yes. He is doing great and he loves the Book of Mormon stories!! We also got to teach Sister Stranges about Patriarchal Blessings that day and she is now preparing to receive hers, so that's exciting!!

I was able to go on exchanges with Sister Arnold again!! Man... We did SO much that day!! We literally ran from appointment to appointment.  It was an incredible day where following the spirit in lessons was all we did.  She is such an incredible example to me and it has been amazing to see the progress she has made and the refinement that is brought into her life because of her mission, I love her so much!

Here are some updates on people!
-Brother Macdonald was taught the Word of Wisdom and Following the Prophet. At the end of the lesson we asked if there would be anything (other than smoking which he has nearly quit,) that would keep him from living this commandment. He told us he drank coffee... so under the direction of the spirit we simply asked him if we could take it and remove the temptation. He sat in silence for only a brief moment before stating "Okay" J He then proceeded to go and grab it all. Best thing ever! 
-We also met with our two Muslim investigators, one of which who has been meeting a little bit with the Farsi Elders as well, and they have both been reading a TON in The Book of Mormon! Hatem is learning more for an intellectual understanding and has read all of 1 Nephi in the past week, and Eghbal is learning on more of a spiritual level and is in Jacob already!! He LOVES the Book of Mormon!! He also told us that the more he reads, the lighter he feels and the more he learns. He will be flying home to the middleeast in just a few weeks and will not be able to take The Book of Mormon with him for safety reasons, so we are emphasizing developing faith in Jesus Christ so he can carry that in his heart over the next few months while he's away. 

Saturday evening was the ward chili cook off and the missionaries got to judge! Ooohhh, there were some good, spicy chili's! Our dear investigators and friends, Sandra and Sheryl came and really enjoyed themselves too! 
BUT GET THIS:
The Famous $250.00 PIE!
The craziest past of the evening was the bakery bidding. Members brought some amazing homemade desserts to have bid on as a fundraiser for the young women's camp this year. SO the bidding begins. Some pretty high prices were thrown out there! It then comes down to the last item; an apple pie made by Sister Ashe. Of course, as missionaries we were pulling our money to try and get this one, but to no avail. The price continued to rocket. Having lost all hope of getting this delectable dish, and simply enjoying the bidding war, we missionaries sat back as we watched the bids continue to climb on this miraculous pie. Final bid: sold for $250. Yep, That's right. But... The craziest part was when the Hitchens graciously placed the pie they had bought on our table for the missionaries!!! haha. We couldn't believe it! Well, long story short, we REALLY enjoyed the (expensive) pie! This ward is the funniest and nicest ward!

I am so grateful that I had the opportunity of serving here in Mississauga. I have loved it ... Because the people make me happy.  I have loved getting to know the diversity of Heavenly Father's children. Teaching ESL is probably one of the biggest highlights for me. Karolina was able to go to the temple and she is doing great!!  Brother Macdonald was a hidden gem that is now under the polishing and refining process--I know he will make it to the temple someday.  He is so close. His courage to sacrifice and put aside old habits and come closer to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have really touched my heart.  Sandra and Sheryl are just the funniest Jamican ladies I have ever met... But since I first met them to now, the change in their life is incredible.  They have physically changed in the peace that you can see in their life, but the spiritual peace is even greater than physical evidence. When you talk with them, you know that they are special. They have been touched by the restored gospel.  Their last hurdle that they need to come over (that's hilarious) is to not wear a swim cap for Sheryl and a life jacket for Sandra when they get baptized. J Hatem and Eghbal have really helped me develop a deep love for Heavenly Father's children in ways that can't be described. Sister Phelan's triumph over her Word of Wisdom problems have been an incredible leap of faith for her and she is reading New Testament stories, and just loves the gospel now!  I just LOVE it here!! Mississauga will have a special place in my heart forever and for Heavenly Father's children here. 

I cannot wait for the adventure of opening up a new area and for my new companion as she begins her mission serving in Ontario. J 

My scripture I am ponderizing this week is Matthew 5:14-16
14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid. 
15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. 
16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

We love Sister Ennever (momma)
I know that as we live the principles of the gospel, that we fulfill what the Savior says in this scripture.  When we have this light, we will shine our light through our deeds and have the ability of influencing so many others for good.  I love what Joseph B. Wirthlin says, "...the influence of the gospel is to extend beyond each individual. It is to be as a light that dispels the darkness from the lives of those around us."   Continue to be a light J

Until next time...

Sister Robb

No comments:

Post a Comment