Mission Picture top blog

Mission Picture top blog

Monday, August 11, 2014

I love being a missionary!!

So you know how I love being a missionary?  Well…I DO!!!  SOOO MUCH!!! J  I love that I am continuing to learn from people I meet here on the streets everyday!  Because we don’t have a car, we’re able to talk to LOTS of people on the streets each day and share with them the BEAUTIFUL message of the restored Gospel, simply by talking with people this week, I’ve learned how to be a little kinder, how to be a friend to people passing by, how to speak a little slower (you all know I talk fast, alright, I’m learning…) and I have also learned that our smiles to people, change their day.  I mean, I’ve heard stories of that happening, but never really thought much of it.  I can’t wait for what’s in store this week because we already have a lot planned; exchanges, service projects, and awesome lessons to hopefully future investigators.  I cannot wait!

We met the coolest guy last Wednesday. We received a referral from missionaries to see a man named Timothy Richards. He wanted a Book of Mormon! When we arrived to where he lives, Sister Shurtliff was scarred to go in.  It basically was like a "small, creepy human sized rat maze". We had to hunch over to walk down the hallways and only one person could fit down the hallway at a time! Anyways... After much searching in this place we finally found his door and found Timothy Richards. He was so excited to see us! He told us that he had a Book of Mormon his whole life but a few months ago his home burned down and he lost everything. He has been trying to get a new copy ever since that time and he met the Elders the other day and they sent us over. The day before we met him, he went to a really old bookstore and found a Book of Mormon in French that that he bought. He knows some French, so he was excited to have a Book of Mormon in English and French. We could tell how much he treasures the Book of Mormon. He said that he reads it everyday along with the Bible. He used to meet with the missionaries but sadly lost contact.  Okay... Now to the really cool stuff. he mentioned  a guy named Dave Miller who is from Utah that taught him French and the gospel many, many years ago. I told him I know a Dave Miller and that he was my French teacher in High School.  So we will see if it's the same Dave he's talking about! Small world right! He is so cool and I cannot wait to talk to him again this week and see what happens.

Sunday was great, miracles really do happen!  We met a lady Thursday at the bus stop named Holly. We were able to give her a mormon.org card and I was able to quickly tell her how much the gospel means in my life and we then separated. On Sunday we received a call from her.  She called us and said that she would like to meet with us and learn more about the church. She is 5 months pregnant with her first child and said after we had talked to her on Thursday it dawned on her how much she wants what's best for her child and thinks that religion could be a great way to raise a family in todays “tough world”.  She has never been to church before but she said after she had met with us that she felt she needed to do this!  We scheduled an appointment with her for this week to give her a tour of the church to help her feel more comfortable about the church building and then give her a lesson afterwards. We'll see how it goes! She really seems special and different.  I cannot wait to see what's lies ahead for Holly.

I have had so many experiences where the scriptures have answered my questions, soothed my heart, and gave me a sense of peace and comfort. After a really long, unsuccessful day, I came back to the apartment feeling like I had failed that day. That night I had opened my scriptures and found something amazing. It's Alma 26:27, "Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success." After I had read that I was instantly filled with the Spirit and it said to me, "Don't worry Sister Robb... Tomorrow is a new day. Don't get down. Keep teaching the gospel and doing your best. You will be blessed." It's so true! I am blessed every single day being a missionary here in Canada.

walking path by our apartment
Every day is a gift and I have received countless blessings. I know that no matter what we have been through or what we will... Jesus Christ has felt it. He knows us and loves us so much that he went through the Atonement. A quote I love from Elder Bednar says, "There is no physical pain, no spiritual wound, no anguish of soul or heartache, no infirmity or weakness you or I ever confront in mortality that the Savior did not experience first. In a moment of weakness we may cry out, "No one knows what it is like. No one understands." But the Son of God perfectly knows and understands, for He has felt and borne our individual burdens. And because of His infinite and eternal sacrifice, He has perfect empathy and can extend to us His arm of mercy. He can reach out, touch, succour, heal, and strengthen us to be more than we could ever be and help us to do that which we could never do relying only upon our own power. Indeed, His yoke is easy and His burden is light.”  ("Bear Up their Burdens with Ease")

I know this to be true.  I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior.  He lives and He loves us so much!  I KNOW this Gospel is True!  I have experienced the Atonement for myself, which is why I am here, spreading this good news with all who come into our path.  How great it is to know that He lives and guides us today!  God is in control!

What a comfort it is in my life to know that wherever I may be, whatever I might be feeling... He is there. I hope you know that too. I invite everyone to kneel down tonight and pray to Heavenly Father and ask how much he loves you. Tell him your worries or concerns you may be feeling. I know that if we do this we will receive such a strong feeling of love and peace. It's amazing that we can pray to our Heavenly Father everyday, every minute, or any time we are in need. He hears us and answers us always! Whether it be at that time or in His time... He never leaves us alone. I am so grateful for the knowledge of prayer in my life and know this to be true.

Thank you for all of your love and support! Until next time...
Sister Robb



No comments:

Post a Comment